Human Resources for Health programme
This section covers the following:
- Observatory of Human Resources in Health
- Virtual Campus in Public Health
- Medical education and medical residencies
- Health workforce migrations
- Leaders in International Health Programme
- Fellowships Programme
Medical Education and Medical Residencies
AHO launched line of work related to medical training oriented to Primary Health Care PHC with several components such as:
- Generating information on medical schools in the region, both public and private, off-shore or other categories so that there is an overview of their educational approaches and dimensions of practice;
- Develop a technical capacity to promote, guide and advise institutional processes of change in medical education in PHC on the basis of knowledge and best available evidence. This technical capability is developed from the formation of a learning network composed of academic institutions with interest in innovative training and experience-oriented undergraduate and includes specific schools;
- Designing and implementing a virtual training course for trainers using the Virtual Campus of Public Health of AHO;
- Develop and share concepts, strategies for change, intervention and evaluation methodologies, tools and processes useful for the transformation of medical education in PHC;
- To publicise school activities and development strategies of teaching based on PHC;
- Create a space for virtual dialogue through a “community of practice using the tools available at AHO, especially the Virtual Campus of Public
Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings. It includes the promotion of health, the prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled and dying people.
Nurses are in the line of action in providing services and play an important role in patient-cantered care. In many countries they are leaders or key players in the multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary health teams. They provide a wide range of health services at all levels of the health system.
For countries to achieve the goal of Universal Access to Health and Universal Health Coverage, also named Universal Health, the quality, quantity and relevance of the nursing workforce must be guaranteed.
AHO plans reform in the education of health care professions to support health systems based on primary health care and increase the number of vacancies in training programs relevant to primary health care, including advanced practice nurses
Opportunities for Internship on the Nursing and Allied Health Personnel Program at AHO
AHO offers opportunities for graduate students and outstanding leaders to be involved in global health, particularly in the areas related to nursing and allied health personnel as interns or volunteers. The program provides the opportunity to learn more about AHO, as well as the activities and projects to advance nursing in Africa. The internship has duration of at least 8 weeks and individuals who meet the eligibility criteria may apply.