The Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean off East Africa, known for its beaches, coral reefs, diving, nature reserves and rare wildlife such as giant Aldabra tortoises. Mahé island, with an international airport, is a key transport hub, home to capital Victoria, the mountain rainforests of Morne Seychellois National Park and white-sand beaches including Beau Vallon and Anse Takamaka. Its population is 89,173 (2013) and GDP per capita of USD 16,185.
AHO PRIORITIES FOR HEALTH DELIVERY PLAN IN SEYCHELLES
- Human resource development.
- National health insurance.
- Primary health care model.
- Health promotion model.
- Noncommunicable diseases.
- Mental health.
PROGRAMMES & PROJECTS
1. HEALTH SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT
To plan for the efficient and effective delivery of health care services
- Support provided for the introduction of models, methods, and mechanisms to establish an adequate health information system (surveillance).
- Support provided for the implementation and monitoring of plans, policies, and projects to strengthen the strategic management of human resources.
- Support provided to studies evaluating primary health care and environmental health services.
- Support provided for the introduction of models, methods, and mechanisms to establish a system for quality improvement and quality assurance.
- Plans, projects, and policies designed for sustainable financing mechanisms.
- Program implementation, monitoring, and evaluation mechanisms in place.
2. PROMOTION OF HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
To strengthen the capacity to apply health promotion approaches to selected priority areas.
- Capacity strengthened to formulate public health policies for selected priority areas.
- Capacity strengthened to establish and/or expand cooperation networks and alliances for health promotion.
- Capacity strengthened to plan and executes promotional campaigns, public education, and advocacy strategies.
- Methods, models, and technologies developed and implemented to enhance the organisation’s communication program.
AHO SEYCHELLES 2020 (USD million)* based on 2017 pop 95,843 World Bank
|1||Combating communicable diseases||
|2||Tackling non communicable diseases||
|3||Addressing determinants of health & risk factors||
|4||Modernising health system and health service||
|5||Improving preparedness, surveillance and response||
|6||Developing good governance & corporate services||
AHO estimates that it needs to spend at least USD100 per capita on health to meet the basic health needs of the people in Africa. This is too far below developed countries e.g. in England it is US$1,300 per capita (2017)